- You can easily control your speed in order to stay on pace.
- You can watch TV, movies etc to keep your view interesting
- It is easier. On a treadmill, you don't have to propel yourself forward you only need to jog on the spot, so it is a lot easier.
- Controlled climate - it can be light, air conditioned and not subject you to stranger danger or getting lost.
- No need to carry your water or gels (if you do a really long run on the TM), you can have them right there with you.
- It can get boring, there isn't any changing environment or varied terrain to keep you interested.
- Expensive - you would either need to buy a treadmill, or have access to one at your gym. You will most likely need to pay for access to it though.
- Can have injuries in your knees because you aren't using your hamstrings to move forward.
- Interesting - you have the constantly changing environment to keep you engaged and have something to look at.
- You can run with others easily
- Conditions are the same as in a race, so it helps you truly train for the event.
- It is tougher so you get stronger, fitter, and burn more calories running outside.
- Free - walk outside and you can start running!
- When you are halfway through your run and feel like quitting, you are still a fair way from home and so have to finish your workout!
- It is tougher, so it can be harder to sustain for longer periods (particularly if new to running).
- Safety - running in the dark or in strange places can be dangerous.
- Weather - you are at the mercy of Mother Nature.
- You can be injured due to the force on hard surfaces.
For the 5k virtual race series, I have decided that anyone running on the treadmill will not be eligible for prizes because it is too easy to regulate your speed and you don't need to propel forward, making it far easier.
That does lead me to share with you some of the sponsors I have lined up for the first Virtual 5k race;
ENERGYBits: A completely natural food that you can use to supplement during your runs or other activity. They also include Omega-3 which naturally reduces inflammation. ENERGYBits has a prize pack for our lucky USA based random prize draw!
110%: Our lucky USA based winner will recieve a pair of 110% compression socks. 110% combine the benefits of the long recognised R.I.C.E. (Rest, ice, compress, elevate) for quick recovery, which will you will need after working out to your full potential with increased circulation and reduced swelling.
Bikini Cookbook: The lucky Australian based winner will be able to cook up some delicious meals with their Bikini Cookbook. The recipes are wonderful and it was originally recommended to me by a few of the Virtual 5k participants! You can even jump over to her website to grab a few free recipes.
Unfortunately I have only been able to line up sponsors for Australia and USA for the January race. If anyone is interested in sponsoring, please let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org