I am trying to ride more now that it is coming into summer and I am really enjoying it. It is a huge calorie burner too, today I burnt over 1300 calories in two rides. It takes me less than an hour longer than my regular commute to and from work in total and now that I am getting faster it is getting even less!
Here are some tips if you want to start riding to work - mainly for the ladies!
- buy yourself a bunch of toiletries that you can keep in the office, you don't want to be carting that stuff back and forth on the bike. I even have a cheapo hair dryer that I leave at work.
- work out your schedule for riding and be sure to take in everything you could possibly need. I hang my clothes up near my desk and am sure to have a dry towel ready to go.
- get yourself some nuts, bananas, protein powder or tins of tuna and leave it at your desk. You are going to need lots of good snacks, damn I get hungry when I ride in.
- be safe! Get good quality front and rear lights, a good fitting helmet and if you are a nerd like me a high visibility vest or jacket.
- be comfortable. You will resist the Lycra, I know because I did too but you will learn to love it. Get yourself some of those super sexy padded pants and your bum will definitely thank you for it.
- talk to your colleagues about what they do if they ride into the office. There are some great bike paths around, find them!
- enjoy it. I saw some cute little ducklings in the river on my ride yesterday morning. So cute and I never would have seen them from the car.
- make sure you have a spare tyre, the levers and a pump (or those CO2 canisters) and know how to use them! I had a rough idea but I still needed to get home to fully replace my flat tyre yesterday!
Did you ride to work today?