The bad elements are;
- getting up so early you feel physically sick from the little sleep you had.
- spending an increasing number of hours waiting in line barefoot waiting to go through security
- missing your dear friends hens night because you were flying back from Spain, missing your friends birthday because you were flying back from Singapore, missing St Patricks day with your very own leprechaun because you were flying to New York.
You get the idea.
So, after all this who would have thought that I could still agree with the statement:
"getting there is half the fun!"
Except when there are a few weary travellers needing some tips to help everything run smoothly! Here are my top tips for travellers to help make a long haul flight and the airport much more enjoyable:
Hydrate - You have heard it a thousand times right, well it is true. Flight attendant guidance is to drink a glass of water every 20 minutes! I try to drink at least a 600mL bottle per hour, however on a long haul flight all I want to do is sleep so I pre-hydrate. All that time you spend sitting around in the airport - drink drink drink! Water of course...
Pack a good carry on - your passport and travel documents should be easily accessed, your liquids in their plastic bag and your laptop at the top, or at least within easy reach. My go-to carry on bag includes:
- Passport and Travel documents, including itineraries and addresses. Also, bring a pen! You have to fill out so many documents it is handy to not have to wait for someone else
- Liquids Bag - check out this guest post for information on liquids
- Entertainment/Communication - I usually bring everything; laptop, iPad, Kindle, book and iPod.
- Warmth - Planes are ALWAYS cold, I bring a pashmina and a jumper (sweater) usually, plus a pair of socks to keep your feet warm.
Then maybe you will agree with my love of travel, well to a certain extent!