This is quite possibly the greatest slow cooked meal I have ever eaten. So much so that I made this last Monday and we are having it again tonight! It made the entire kitchen smell delicious and it was really very quick and easy.
The original recipe is from my new favourite website taste.com, just with some slight modifications.
1 onion, chopped
1/4 cup of massaman paste (about half a jar)
1 tin (270mL) of coconut milk
500g slow cook diced beef
1/4 cup fish sauce
2 carrots, roughly chopped
500g potatoes, roughly chopped
8 cardamon pods
1 cinnamon stick
2-8 cloves of garlic (depending on how garlic obsessed you are)
2 tablespoons of oil (i just use olive oil)
1 teaspoon of palm sugar
1. Brown the onions and then add the massaman paste and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute). Add to your slow cooker
2. Cook off the beef in batches just to brown the sides to seal in the juices. Add to your slow cooker.
3. Add all the other ingredients into the slow cooker except for the lime.
4. Cook on low for about 8 hours or 4 hours on high. (If I put it on after midday I give it an hour or 2 on high, then turn it down).
5. Add the lime juice just before serving on steamed rice.