See what I mean? But trust me, it’s tasty. I adapted it from a recipe my mom made when we were growing up. It involved jumbo shells and a lot of stuffing, but this time all I had in my pantry was some lasagna noodles and I was too lazy to even consider stuffing shells. So here’s the recipe:
• 1 lb. ground beef or turkey (gotta keep it healthy when ya can!)
• 8 oz. cream cheese
• seasonings (I use chili powder, garlic, onion powder, salt & pepper, cumin and red pepper flakes. I like it HOT!)
• 1 jar taco sauce (Taco Bell brand is our fave, and this is NOT salsa. Repeat: NOT salsa. Taco sauce is not chunky.)
• 2 cups shredded cheese
• 9ish lasagna noodles
• a handful of tortilla chips, crushed *optional*
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (180C). Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, and drop in lasagna noodles.
2) Generously season your beef and brown in a skillet. Once browned (and spiced up) plop in your cream cheese and stir until melted.
3) On a pre-greased 13×9 pan, lay out your first 3 lasagna noodles. Spoon 1/2 of the beef mixture onto the pasta. Pour 1/3 of the taco sauce over the meat, and top with a handful of cheese.
4) Make another layer with the last of the beef, another 1/3 of sauce, more cheese. Top with last 3 lasagna shells.
5) Pour the last of the taco sauce on top, then sprinkle on the last of the cheese. I know I said 2 cups here, but we love melty cheese and are not trying to be healthy in any way so I probably used at least 3. I was very liberal with the cheese.
6) *optional* Grab a handful of chips and crunch them up on top of the cheese. I only do this if I already have chips in the pantry for some reason. It tastes just as delicious without them.
7) Bake at 350F (180C) for about 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and dish is heated through.